Monday, April 15, 2013

Good Books Make Good Reflections on My Life

I have just finished two of the most intriguing and mesmerizing books. The first one I have finished is India Coghill's Delilah. It is loosely based on the actual Biblical figures Samson and Delilah and tells the tale of how these two might possibly have met. It gives a wonderful viewpoint of how Samson may have fallen in love and what transpired for this young girl to bring about her lover's demise. Although Samson was married, as with many Biblical stories of love, these two must have known each other for quite some time for in the Bible it states that he loved her. Delilah pressured Samson for one simple question; What was responsible for making him so strong. Most women I know, me included, will put some pressure on a man! Please! Please! That drives me crazy to a point too. But, nonetheless, I am guilty of doing it to the point that I have gotten my way. I can see Delilah saying this to Samson over and over until he can't stand it anymore and gives in. Which is what brought him down and resulted in his death but not before he took the Phillistines with him on that fateful day.
This is a very good story and the author gives her take on how these two met, fell in love, and how their romance may have ended.The names Samson (Day) and Delilah (Night) have some significance in their love story. You've heard it said many times; they are as different as night and day. Very good story that I highly recommend reading.



The next story I read this past week was the true story of Jaycee Lee Dugard. This story touched my heart. With each sentence I read, I could reflect on my own life. I thought back to where I was each time she was enduring torture and torment for 18 years at the hands of a very sick, twisted couple. Her story was heart-wrenching and I thought of my own 16 year-old daughter and how devastated I would be if anything like what Jaycee went through happened to my Elizabeth. Unfortunately, this stuff happens in our world and society everyday. Thousands of children go missing and are exploited everyday. Jaycee's story is a hard and difficult journey for a young girl to recollect on but she does it with style and grace as can only be told by the one who endured it the way she does. Many times throughout the telling of her story, I thought to myself how could she not get away after she became stronger each day and became a young woman. I imagined that I would have fought back in some way but thats not true. I was a victim of domestic assault for almost four years and one does not easily leave that kind of abuse. The type of brainwashing you go through is something no one understands until they've gone through it themselves.
So if you find yourself bored, pick up a good book this week and read! Which reminds me, I've got others to read! Bye for now! Happy Reading! Happy Reflecting! Happy Scrapbooking!

No comments: